Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Experiment #3 Maps- Havenport


Hello! My name is Kaleb.
Now before I tell you the story of how my friends and I had to save the town from an evil and scary magical force with my brother and his friends (who also have magical powers) it's important for you to know the lay of the land.
So welcome to Havenport! A warm and fuzzy little town in the middle of nowhere. The population isn't really important, but other people live here, I promise.
I live at 324 Dear St. with my brother Jim and our Mom Maggie (don't call Mom Maggie, she says it's disrespectful). Our house is probably the smallest in the entire town, maybe not, but it sure feels that way sometimes. Our front yard is filled with dead grass and the remnants of the flowers Mom tried to grow last spring. The white paint is pealing, and the shutter on the left side of the house is crooked. Mrs. Jacobs, Sadie's Mom, once told the PTA at our school that is was an "eyesore", whatever that means. My brother Jim has friends on the lower side of town, but I'm not allowed over there, so it's not on the map.
My best friend Sadie lives a few blocks up the street from me. If she and I stand in the middle of the street in front of our houses at the same time and wave our arms around really fast, we can see each other! I know this because we did it one time. All I could make out was the blur of her favorite pink sweater, but it was still her. Her mom yelled at her for standing in the road, but it was still really cool.
My other best friend Carlos lives a few streets over. His house is the closest to the field, but we'll get to that later. Carlos is the best biker out of all of us, mainly because he lives right across the street from the bike runs.
This is hands down the BEST part of the entire town. The dirt is just dry enough to get all over your spokes, but sturdy enough that it won't swallow you whole when you break hard after a few laps. The jumps there are the only place in the entire town where you can get any air time.
Carlos gets so much air time that Sadie and I secretly think his bike has wings.
Across the street from Sadie's house is Al's Ice Cream Shop! We go there every afternoon in the Summer. Al is a very nice old man, and on Sundays his give us FREE sundaes! \
Al is the best.
 Across the way from Al's and a few streets down from Jim's High School is the park. Now I have only set my eyes on that park a few times, and the only thing I know about it is that it's where Jim has baseball practice. Jim also hangs out with his friends there every Wednesday night, but I'm not supposed to know that.
Between Jim's school and my school is the Grocery store. Sometimes Mom takes us there on "family shopping trips" but that usually only happens when we are in trouble or after she has worked a few very long shifts at the hospital.
No matter which way we get there, it's not the most enjoyable thing.
Jim's friend Benny works at the grocery store. He's important to remember later in the story.
Then there is my school, Havenport Middle School. Sadie and Carlos go to school there too. When I was in fifth grade and afraid to go to middle school, Jim decided to scare me and my friends by telling us that the school was built on an Indian burial ground and was haunted.
Jim is kind of a jerk.
Behind the school is the Forbidden Field. Don't call me stupid or over dramatic for calling it that, it really is forbidden. The Field has been fenced off for as long as anyone in the town can remember. Even old Al said its been fenced off since he was a kid! (and that was like a billion years ago). The Field is a long long stretch of grass that never dies, no matter what the weather. The grass stretches into a thick patch of Oak trees, and after that no one knows. No one ever goes back there, or, no one ever did go back there. The day after Sadie, Carlos, and I snuck out to follow Jim and his friends, we noticed that the fence has a hole in it! The hole is just big enough to let a person through. But my friends and I don't think someone came from the Field, we think something came from the Field.
Now the you know the lay of the land, the story might be easier to follow. Here, take the map, just remember to give it back to after you've read the story.
And yes, everything is completely true.

1 comment:

  1. Good details in this narrative. Thanks for embracing this Experiment. It's got just enough specific info that it's quite believable. The Forbidden Field is introduced quite casually, but I have a feeling (if this story were to continue) it will be the central conflict of the tale.

    I love the narrator's interaction at the end: "Here, take the map, just remember to give it back to after you've read the story."

    ReplyDelete