Saturday, February 11, 2017

Information over Italian Dinner

We never talk about it.
So when my Dad starts spilling information about his side of the family
left and right over dinner
It’s only natural that you drop everything and listen up.
I know everything about my Mom’s side.
I can tell you where her parents we born and raised,
And where their parents were born and raised,
And so on.
But with my Dad,
It’s a little different.
I try not to let the lack of information bother me,
But it does.
And when he starts talking about my grandfather and how he grew up
It’s another reminder that I’m not whole.
He talks like its common knowledge,
Like we have always known that our grandfather was the youngest of 10 siblings
And was practically raised by his two older sisters.
My Dad lists off names left and right
Expecting a spark of recognition to light up within us;
Uncle Tony
Uncle Frank
Aunt Mary
My brother and I can only sit there are drink it all in.
Who knows when he’ll talk of it again
And we’ll certainly never ask him.
And I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t be bothered by the fact
 that they don’t know any of these people who died
long before they were even a thought in their parents minds.
But as he talks
My stomach drops
And I just want to cry.
I feel robbed.
I feel like this information is a part of the puzzle
that is my very existence
and I’ll never unlock it fully
because my Dad will never speak up.
It’s a part of his past that is painful to remember
And it’s a part of my history that is ever more painful
Not to know.
How can we be whole
If we don’t know the entire story?
I grew up thinking my father was one of three
When really he was the only one.
The woman my brother and I called Grandma
Married into the family.
My Dad’s mother left him when he was young.
And I hate knowing that.
I hate asking about that.
Is it really right for me to cause him pain
Just to ease my own?
And as he finishes the story
I put my fork down
And wonder when the next one will come.
I’m scared it will come too soon.

I’m scared it never will.

1 comment:

  1. I love how there are these stories hidden by the speaker's father. This is a very strong piece.

    There's one section toward the end that throws me off a little, It's when you mention that he said he was only one of three, and also "the woman my brother and I called grandma married into the family." I'm not sure if these details are too vague... Or maybe even too specific and complex... But to me it seems like a ripple in an otherwise smooth and powerful poem.

    ReplyDelete